Way Out Where
Monday, January 17, 2005
 
What was it that Ned's Atomic Dustbin said?
Kill Your Television

Yep, its gone. In fact, its been gone for over 2 months now. Sweet, blessed ITV-less relief.

People swan around me talking about Celebrity Big Brother - I genuinely did not know the show was on TV again until about 4 days ago. I simply cannot describe the gorgeous sensation it is to realise that you are totally and utterly out of touch with reality television. How to describe it? I guess a mixture of total contentment and slight superiority.

It can sometimes be a little strange - other people's reactions are totally unpredictable, and range from "Good for you, I've been thinking about that for a while" to something like the following:

Workmate: Did you see Celebrity Big Brother last night
Me: Nope, couldn't. I don't have a TV
Workmate: What? No tv? Is it broken?
Me: Nope, just don't own one
Workmate: What? You're about to buy a new big one?
Me: Nope, no plans to buy one, just don't own one
Workmate: None at all? What? Why? When are you getting a new one?
Me: Not getting a new one. Don't want one. Television bores the crap out of me
Workmate: You're not getting one? What? You don't have one? What? Why? How?
Me: Sold it. Not buying another one. Really really don't like it.
Workmate (tears running down his cheeks): HOW DO YOU SURVIVE?!?!?!?!?! WHAT DO YOU DO??!?!?!?!????

(almost true story)

Anyway, the one single response I've not had so far is "yep, I don't own one either. Cool huh?" ... so, anyone else out there quit television? I'm waiting to hear from ya. Wanna form a band? Or maybe start a club or something?

Yeah, the Things To Do Once You've Killed Your Television Club ... I guess the format would be similar to Why Don't You (warning: loads a realplayer in-browser video of the title music), but for adults. We'd read books, drink wine, play guitar, make things (I really want to make a laptop case akin to the one a character in Pattern Recognition carried (actually he turned out to be a douchebag, but I thought his laptop case was cool)), browse the internet, write computer programs, learn Italian ... anything but passively watch television really.





<< Home

Powered by Blogger